Query: Voicing New Yamaha Hammers

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:51:16 -0600

Hi John,
             Lightly steam them down, but be VERY cautious.  May I refer
you to the article on this type of hammer treatment, in the May 1999 Journal.
To be fair to Yamaha. USA. They prefer that their hammers are needled in
the tradition manner.  They have experienced more than a few horror
stories, due to aggressive steaming.
I reiterate, use a 40 watt iron.  It has more control.
Regards Roger

At 10:23 PM 10/07/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi list:
>
>I just installed a complete set of pre-hung Yamaha hammers on a 15 year
>old C3.  The job went great until I reinstalled the action and struck a
>chord.  I almost shattered every window in the house!!!!  It was VERY
>bright!!!!!!  I mean I have heard bright before but this was far beyond
>anything I could have expected.   There was no "piano", everything was
>"forte".  I have used rubbing alcohol with much success on hard hammers
>before, but since these hammers are brand new (and cost $844) I would
>appreciated any suggests with regard to toning down.  I am not a big fan
>of needling and would like to keep that to a minimum.  I await your
>
>John Gunderson, Associate member, North Jersey Chapter.

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213
Fax 652-0505