Query: Voicing New Yamaha Hammers

Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:57:40 EDT

Steaming has worked well for me to extend the life of worn hammers on Yamaha
G1"s (etc.) Steaming will lift the grooves and expand felt when compacting
happens. Therefore, the timing of the steaming is critical when steaming old
hammers.
NEW hammers will not have artificial hardeners (excepting Steinway) so the
location of excess hardness is critical. Scratch the sides of the hammer and
listen carefully to the "pitch" of the scratching. With some practice you
will learn to identify the depth of the offending hardness. My suspicion on
the new extremely bright hammers is that  surface tightness is to blame. This
might be rubbed out, even by hand, or by a light sanding, or by a blunt,
round , heavy object.
      You need to develop a sensitivity as to how the hardness is acheived,
either through density (heavy mass /size) or hardener(sounds very scratchy),
surface hardness (ping in articulation at any dynamic), too much filing
(small hammers,hard surface), or hard throughout (scratchy, hard surface,
"thud" at impact). Hammers which are hard throughout will probably need a
variety of surface treatment and deep treatment. Deep needling or
complete(but even) steaming can address inside hardness, and light sanding,
rubbing, or shallow needling can address the more surface hardness.
      New hammers which have too much hardener may have begun their life as
too soft, and were then saturated. The outer layers may have remained soft,
resulting in a continued problem with "too soft" hammers. At this point, if
the hammers were filed to attempt clarification, the result will be hardness
throughout with a tight surface, and small size. I believe the only way to
save this regretable situation is to steam, (breaking the interior
connections of the hardeners), file to shape and "reorganize" the surfaces
rubbing with pressure or heat to achieve enough articulation.
       Results will improve with experience! Good luck!