Wurlitzer Bass Sustain problem

Todd L. Mapes foxmeadow@freewwweb.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 06:55:24 -0500

List,

The piano I'm having problems with is a brand new Wurlitzer C143 (4'7"
grand) at a church.  Three times they have experienced a frustrating
problem in which the short rod between the lever and the the damper tray
pops out of the hole and props up the bass damper tray.  I went out
there on a call back type situation for the dealership and adjusted the
pedals to a very small tolerance.  I wasn't able to recreate the problem
but could see how it could happen since the bass sustain lever and rod
stay put when the full sustain is activated (whole tray goes up but the
bass sustain pedal rod stays down low).  They called again yesterday and
I was able to recreate the problem this time, but I really had to STOMP
on the full sustain pedal to get the bass sustain rod to skip out of the
hole.  According to the Deacon's wife, this problem only happens with
one pianist.  Hmmm...anyway, for lack of any better ideas, I just
removed the bass sustain pedal rod from between the lever and the tray.
They said they never use that pedal anyway.  What else could I do?
Eagerly awaiting your suggestions...

Todd L. Mapes
Assoc. Member, PTG