piano cover on new finish

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:40:17 -0400

Hi Mark,

I am not a finisher but I have been around finishes and
finishers for a long time.  I do not have any direct
experience with the water born finishes though.

I have seen lots of damage to new finishes that was caused
by pressure, too soon, plastic drop sheets covering finishes
too soon, rubbing out too soon, too thick an application,
too thin an application, and all nature of other problems.
I hope to never be a refinisher.

I do know that once pollies cure they are cured once and for
all, about 24 to 48 hours depending upon amount of hardner.
Varnish dries from the inside out, lacquer dries from the
outside in, shellac gets too hard and there are numerous
exceptions to everything depending upon material, type
(Chinese, European, American, etc.) and everything else.

One thing is certain, lacquer and varnish continue to exhale
volatiles for months and years and change their hardness and
other characteristics throughout this process.  Some
plastics have volatiles that interact with lacquer and
lacquer can remain soft for months after application.

Caution is essential unless full understanding of all
factors is in place.

Error in the direction of caution.

		Newton