square grand regulation

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:31:14 -0100

Eliot,

> I am about to tune a square grand but I don't know how to regulate them
> or even open up the action.

There may be two screws holding the action from below (with tapered
heads like tuning pins), the keyslip may be tightly fit into a slot,
and/or there may be three screws into the front rail below the keys.
Older squares have nameboards that slide upwards in dovetails, newer
ones have fixed or removable nameboard battens. Be careful removing and
replacing the action as there often is a spacer between the pinblock and
soundboard at the treble break on which it seems popular to break
neighboring hammer shanks, or at least to derange them.

> I heard that they do not have a repetition
> lever

They don't - some have underhammers, and there may be a couple
Chickerings with early Brown actions (well, late Mathusheks do have
normal grand actions); otherwise, usually they have key rocker/jack
assemblies that bear directly on the hammer butts. These need a little
lost motion, so the shanks should rest on the rail.

Yamaha silk cord is appropriate; I haven't tried Pianotek's. Hide glue
is nice.

I'm servicing a Boardman & Gray this afternoon, documented to have been
'rebuilt' by the same company in the 1930s. It has a carved soundboard.

Clark