Wurlitzer Bass Sustain problem

Todd L. Mapes foxmeadow@freewwweb.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 06:18:22 -0500

Newton, et al,

Thanks for the great advice.  I opted for removing the bass sustain rod
rather than the whole lyre ;)  I did see a screw under the sustain lever
which I considered using to limit the upward travel, as someone
suggested, but the alternate pianist said she would prefer just to
disable the bass sustain and eliminate the problem altogether.  I
suggested disabling the primary pianist instead (ha).  This is a
Freewill Baptist church and they only play "Gaither Trio" type old
gospel hymns (or so they say).  When I was there, I sampled the tuning
and was unable to find a pure unison in the whole bunch (not my
client...yet)  I didn't touch up the tuning but pointed out that it was
a little rough, and they said they had it tuned about 6 weeks ago.
Sounds like aggressive playing to me.  This is a 4'7" baby grand in a
church that probably seats about 800-1000 folks, so I imagine that when
they're full, the pianist has to really lean into it to be heard.  They
have no organ or other instrument to accompany all those voices.

Todd