"Dial-a-Tech"... finding serial numbers

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:52:11 -0400

Hi Rob,

Interesting that all he seems to need is the name, serial, and overall
condition.  But then again, when I think about how close a car dealer can
come only knowing just a very few things, I guess I shouldn't be too
surprised.

He mentioned a lot of the places we find serial numbers.  It is interesting
to try to find one when a piano has been refinished or refurbished without
regard to the number.  I had one a couple of months ago that almost had me
stumped.  A grand.   I looked on the plate.  Spray painted over.  Couldn't
find it on the soundboard or underside of case or keybed either.  Didn't
have time to pull the action, lyre or a leg.  As I stood beside the piano, I
was thinking about where I might find that number that wouldn't take much of
an effort... and there it was, sitting right there in front of me.  The lid
prop.  Sometimes, the lid prop will have the serial number on the underside
of it.  Sometimes it's just a case number, but on some of them, they did put
the serial number there.  I got lucky.  It's just not one of those places we
normally think to look.

Just something that came to mind.

On a personal note,  I saw you at the convention, Rob, but I didn't get to
formally introduce myself.  Sorry about that.  I was a very busy boy,
collecting and processing input, and no doubt I missed much more than I took
in.   That's life.  (Lookin' forward to Reno!!)

FWIW.   $0.02     :-)

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA