Sohmer Grand

John Gunderson jgunderson@monmouth.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 08:59:04 -0400

With regard to Sohmer pianos:  Hugo Sohmer was one of those piano makers who
danced to the beat of a different drum (although he wasn't quite as bad as Fred
Mathushek or Kranich & Bach).  According to Alfred Dolge, in his book "Pianos and
their makers" Hugo Sohmer and Victor Herbert were drinking buddies, maybe that had
something to do with the creation of this aggraffe bridge (I know first hand about
how that can happen having also had several major revelations to advance the art
of piano construction while in the company of Jack Daniels and Boone's Farm.
Fortunately I never owned a piano company).  I can't give you any particulars
about the bridge but I'm fairly sure that Sohmer abandoned the idea shortly after
that piano was sold and went back to a tradition type bridge.

With regard to the "Rebuild" job:  aside from the pin block to key bed clearance
problem, how is the restringing job.  Should the piano be sent back?