pitch raising

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:49:56 EDT

 les  writes:

<<  My question is regarding the
"stretchiness" of strings on ordinary pianos needing PR's of 50 cents or
more, and better pianos which need less adjustment, but may not have been
tuned in two-four years. >>

Greetings,
    There is more to this than the strings.  They are  the power in the
entrainment equation, but other variables are involved.
   The "change/loss of stability" to the strings is going to occur primarily
at the bends, since a100 cent raise moves a piece of new string  into the
radius found at the agraffe, and to a lesser extent, at the tuning pin coil
and the bridgepin.  This deformation is one factor in stability, but is
easily resolved by a light tapping of the string in the direction of the
bend.
    The entire rim assembly is going to see additional pressure from the
soundboard.  If you add a lot of tension, there is going to be a change of
stress somewhere in the wooden structure of the instrument, and that is going
to take time to fully resolve itself.  How much? I have no difinitive answer,
but the more crown and downbearing pressure, the more influence the wooden
structure has on stability.  A flat board doesn't seen to have as long an
adjustment period.
   What to tell the customer about a 100 cent flat piano?  I say two passes,
(one fast and the second very careful) will be needed on the first visit,
(currently  $150 worth of work, and I check the plate bolts and stuff as part
of this).  Then, anywhere from two or three weeks to two or three months,
they may want to tune it again, after which they are ready to resume a normal
tuning schedule.
   It has often been fortunate that I left the expectations this loose,
sometimes the piano will sit there singing decently for a season, and other
times it will head for outer space in a month or two.  Preparing the customer
is the essential part of the job.
REgards,
Ed Foote RPT