pitch raising

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:12:54 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/00 8:26:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
lesbart1@juno.com writes:

<< My teacher says he can do a 100 cent pitch raise, and make it "stick" on
 the second pass.  Another tech, local, says "NO" to that notion, and says
 one should tell the customer "It will take three tunings, two weeks
 apart", to get it stabilized.  My question is regarding the
 "stretchiness" of strings on ordinary pianos needing PR's of 50 cents or
 more, and better pianos which need less adjustment, but may not have been
 tuned in two-four years.  I'd be most appreciative of the experience of
 others.
 les bartlett
 ____________ >>

One misnomer a lot of piano tuners seem to have is that when doing a pitch
raise, it's the stretching of the strings that cause the piano to drop in
pitch. My opinion is that the strings don't stretch, (unless they are new).
What caused the piano to drop in pitch after the first go around on a pitch
raise is the added pressure on the soundboard.  When you can make adjustments
to make the soundboard stable, your final tuning will be more stable.

One thing I have been doing to make the piano more stable on a pitch raise,
is start in the middle, and work my way up, and then down. I do this not only
on pitch raises, but also on a regular tuning. Before we had ETD's, we all
did that. We set the temperament, then tuned up, and then down, (or visa
versa). I still do that and I find my tunings to be much faster, and more
stable.

Willem