pitch raising

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:27:41 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/00 11:08:24 PM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<< What to tell the customer about a 100 cent flat piano?  I say two passes,
 (one fast and the second very careful) will be needed on the first visit,
 (currently  $150 worth of work, and I check the plate bolts and stuff as
part
 of this).  Then, anywhere from two or three weeks to two or three months,
 they may want to tune it again, after which they are ready to resume a
normal
 tuning schedule.   >>

One thing I have found with pianos that are 100 or so cents flat is that they
belong to people who really don't care that much about their piano. The
exception is when someone has just bought a used piano from a friend or
relative, who had ignored the piano.

In any case, seldom will you find a piano in a performance situation, where
it HAS to stay at A440. After doing a major pitch raise, (I do a pitch raise
and tuning in one appointment), I tell my customers I need to see the piano
again in 6 months. I also tell them it will drift out of tune before that,
because of the pitch raise. Although I send my customer a reminder card after
6 months, it's amazing how few call me.

Willem