pitch raising

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:46:00 -0400

I realize Les' question was regarding aural pitchraising, but I'll throw in my 100
cents' worth, as someone who uses an SAT II, *especially* for pitchraises.
Most of us are offering our individual experiences and opinions, but Dr. Al
Sanderson of Inventronics did some actual *research* on the subject. While it may
not have been in a double-blind, publishable format, he is a *real* scientist, and
made "before" and "after" measurements. Sometimes it was his own tuning which was
being measured, sometimes NBSS students', etc.
His conclusion: it certainly can be done (using 25% overshoot, either by VTD or
very careful aural techniques).
In my experience a third pass is necessary, and it will take about two hours (not
superfast, but pretty solid).
Unisons will start drifting in short order, but as long as it's explained to the
customer that the piano *ought* to be retuned ASAP, they're usually delighted with
the results for quite awhile.
Patrick Draine