pitch raising

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 12:03:42 -0300

Hi Wim,
You hit it right on.
I do a pitch raise, and a fine tuning on one visit. As you do, I also
indicate it will
not stabilize, and to call me for a tuning again in the heating season, or
if it
bothers them
Due to the humidity fluctuations up here in the summer, 60% -90% in just a
few
days, I never recommend tunings in the summer. Of course special
circumstances
could dictate a summer tuning.
Most of these people do not notice the few cents that occur doing it on the
one visit.
The biggest change to be noticed, if one did come back in a few weeks, would
be due
to humidity changes.
My rational for just recommending one tuning per year, is then I am tuning
for the
amount the piano goes out, and not the seasonal changes. I am sure this is
better
for the piano.
At the University I have been tuning pianos at for the last 12 years, I
lower the
pitch in Sept. by about 30c, and when I do them again in Jan. I have to
raise them
about 30c. (I have tried to sell them Dampp- Chasers, and they say they
can't afford
them)  They also can't afford any more tunings, although the 3 Concert
Grands for
recitals and concerts, are tuned once a month or more.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.