pitch raising

Carl W. Meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:22:2 -0700

I don't do a lot of tuning, but when I was using a sight-o-tuner I would
set it to 11 cents sharp and tune A440, then tune all "a"'s by ear quickly.
Then set the sot to 10 cents sharp and tune all a#'s.  Continue this
sequence to G# at
0 cents.  This has worked well for me for pianos 30-50 cents sharp.  Now
that I have a sat11 I still use the same procedure since I pitch raise so
seldom.  I like the fact that the pressure is being appllied across the
scale in a uniform procedure.  I suppose I should take the time to try the
sat11 pitch raise program, but this old dog likes old tricks.

Carl Meyer

Al
> Sanderson of Inventronics did some actual *research* on the subject.
While it may
> not have been in a double-blind, publishable format, he is a *real*
scientist, and
> made "before" and "after" measurements. Sometimes it was his own tuning
which was
> being measured, sometimes NBSS students', etc.
> His conclusion: it certainly can be done (using 25% overshoot, either by
VTD or
> very careful aural techniques).
> In my experience a third pass is necessary, and it will take about two
hours (not
> superfast, but pretty solid).
> Unisons will start drifting in short order, but as long as it's explained
to the
> customer that the piano *ought* to be retuned ASAP, they're usually
delighted with
> the results for quite awhile.
> Patrick Draine

--- Carl W. Meyer, Santa Clara, Ca.