Appraisal

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:33:14 -0100

Ed,

Is this an Orchestral? These are very interesting and sought after
pianos.

My estimation of squares often has work as you describe detracting from
their value. I have a Dubois & Seebury square in the shop, dating from
the 1850s formerly which had received similarly complete attention;
among other things, with the new string scale causing a fairly serious
structural failure its appraised value is perhaps $300-500. We have an
untouched Orchestral set up next to it, restored properly which may be
worth ten times that.

Chemically stripped Rosewood loses nearly all of its characteristic
color and figure (and odor), and easily can appear to be Walnut (which
I've only seen on late-'80s squares); what sort of finish is on it?

Are you familiar with the maker? Dolge writes that Frederick Mathushek
was one of Jean-Henri Pape's finest pupils. He was more restrained than
his teacher, still his designs are far from orthodox: the few examples
I've seen feature things like double soundboards, no pinblocks (plugs in
massive webbing), and triple stringing planes. I'm somewhat let down
that the Orchestral only has an ordinary American single action!

I can't think of a better brand from Connecticut.

Clark