"smelly piano"

Charly Tuner charly_tuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:03:15 PDT

Got a call from a lady asking what I could do to rid her old upright (30
years old) of a "blackish mildew-like substance", that she told me  gives
off an almost unbearable odor. I am guessing, until I actually see it, that
it is indeed some kind of fungus/mildew. She also told me that she has
sprayed the piano with diluted bleach, but that is only a short lived fix. I
told her that In order for the problem to go away, that the piano should be
COMPLETELY cleaned, and WIPED DOWN, with a water/bleach solution. I told her
that in order to do it correctly and completely, that it would most likely
be an all day job, which I could do at her residence. I told her that if the
job took a total of 6 hours, that I would have to charge $400. Since I have
never done a job like this before, I based the fee on the equivalent of 5
tunings at my standard $80 tuning fee. Does this sound reasonable for six
straight hours of tedious detail work? A fellow tech in my area said he
would probably charge $600-$700...this seems a tad excessive. Your opinions
are appreciated. Thanks!

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA
Associate Member, PTG