Success Downunder

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 05:03:21 -0800

Mark,
Welcome  back. How were the exibits?
Joe Goss

----- Original Message -----
From: <markbolsius@optusnet.com.au>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 3:57 AM
Subject: Success Downunder

> G'day all,
>
> Well I promised I'd get back onto the list as soon as the Sydney APTTA
Convention was done with, and we finished on Sunday night.

> Despite being a relatively small convention (a bit over 100 delegates) I
think it went extremely well. Ron Overs was the star of the show lifting the
veils on his new grand action, fitted to a Samick 225 rim and soundboard,
with his own scale, bridges and some soundboard mods, this action reduces
friction to unbelievable levels. Downweight was 50 gms and upweight was a
bit over 40 gms.

> All I can say is that it was a delight to play giving great control and
unbelievably fast.

> >From the US we invited Del Fandrich to come over and give a five class
series on the soundboard ( agreat success) Mitch Keil revealed the inner
secrets of Reyburn CyberTuner and Gayle Mair and Roger Wheelock shared the
possibilities of Dampp-Chaser. Lucien Hut covered tone production from a
different perspective and Dr Al Sanderson SAT'd us as well.

> Local techs shared thoughts on Action Design Basics (yours truly),
Prepping new pianos, Player restoration materials, damper installation and
regulation and all sorts of stuff including an expert in hearing doing some
research on specific professions.

> But of course the best stuff was the social events where one and all
shared a wonderful sense of bon homie as well as enjoying pre-Olympic
Sydney.

> I look forward to picking the threads you've all been chatting about and
having the time to respond occassionally.