Parts for Chickering 1/4 grand

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:31:40 -0700

Terry,
	A Quarter grand is one of Chickering's better tricks on the piano tuning
community.  It is a very compact piano with several interesting design
features.  There are no cheek blocks. The piano keys are located right
next to the rim.  Because of this "space saving" design feature,  it is
necessary to mount the shanks and the whips at angles instead of at 90
degrees to the action rails.  As an added bonus,  the keys are also cut
quite differently.  I'm not sure how to describe this in detail,  except
that a standard scale stick approach to action layout is definitely not
usable here.   Next "design" feature is a pinblock which is attached with
machine screws countersunk into the bottom of the block.  IOWs,  they
aren't visible to from the top of the webbing.    The pianos are about 5'
in length and feature 7 precurved,  very tall ribs.  Yes,  the piano in
question still has crown and the board is in pretty good shape for a
piano which started off in Boston,  went to southern Cal for decades,
Seattle for decades,  then Nevada.   Ribs are about 1.5 inches tall in
the center of the scale.

Dale Fox