Piano parts needed

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:07:09 -0400

If you had an old V-8 needing a full rebuild would you
replace bearing, pistons, rings, valves and springs on only
four cylinders?  I think not and my opinion of doing half a
job on a piano is the same.  If new hammers are needed
replace the set.  If it needs new tuning pins replace the
full set.  Doing a half job will come along and bit you in
you half behind, painfully.

The cheapest parts perform just like that, cheap.  The cost
of a good set of shanks and a superior set is about $100 but
they will cost you $300 in you time to compensate for the
difference.  Where is the savings?

Just think about how you would feel is someone did the same
kind of work for you, half a roof?, half the plumbing?, half
the cleaning?  Do you really want to be treated that way?  I
would not nor should you nor should you do such work.  Cost
of parts is the inexpensive part of a job, the lobar is the
expensive part so don't short change yourself nor short
change the customer.

Never do work you would be ashamed to show to another
technician.  No excuses accepted.  Do it well and do it
right.  Charity work is all well and good but even them do
no work that requires explanation or excuses.

If this is a "half" piano you will still need to buy "sets"
of [arts because I have not seen anything but half "sets" of
hammers but they would rarely fit anything.  You will likely
have to bore them yourself to get optimum fit.

Ok, ok, I am off the soap box now.

		Newton