Peral River

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:48:31 -0400

>Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Yamaha has a huge stake in the company. I
>don't know the details.

I'm not so sure about that, but I may be wrong. Yamaha DOES have a
joint venture with them. For the previous past two years a "joint
venture" upright was shown at the PTG Convention exhibit hall. It
looked quite good to me. It also cost a lot more than the other Pearl
River pianos. The upright at Arlington was not one of the joint
venture pianos.
In the past (my understanding was that) Pearl River had been a state
venture, and then when "privatized", owned by the Red Army (!). A
year or so ago Zhiang Zemin passed an edict that the Red Army had to
divest itself of its massive holdings. I never heard whether they
actually did as commanded.
Perhaps Liu Baoli can inform us of the current ownership structure.
It's certainly possible that Yamaha got further involved at that
point. I just don't know.

Patrick Draine