I need to say this just for the record

John Gunderson jgunderson@monmouth.com
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:14:48 -0400

David,   I don't disagree with you regarding RPT's.   As with any profession,
there are those "professionals" who dishonor their professions in spite of their
credentials.  On the other side of the coin, I know technicians who are not
members of the PTG  because they are just "too good" for the rest of us.  Being
in the Quild would be a "waste" of their time and money (if you live in a small
fish bowl, it's easy to think you're a big fish).  I remember inviting one such
tech to a chapter meeting a couple of years ago.  He wasn't interested at all.
He just ranted about how bad all the rest of us were and how great he was.
Listening to him you would have thought he could walk on water.  Now I can't say
whether this guy was worth his salt or not, I haven't had any first hand
experience with his work, but such self-serving ignorance does not impress me.
How could he, who has never been to a Quild meeting of thumbed through a copy of
the Journal,  pass judgment such?

My point is this,  yes there are RPT's who aren't worth their salt, but most of
them are.  Most of them have the same degree of honor and the same desire to do
well that you have and their RPT ratings have little to do with those qualities,
but they have put quite a bit of time and energy (and money) into passing those
exams .  Personally, I think it does say something about their character and
their competence.

John Gunderson, Associate member, North Jersey Chapter