Front Weight--measurements

Dona dlaird@sprintmail.com
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:20:45 -0700

    Hi there Dave... Interesting reading, I will study it closer and =
your follow up as it comes through. David Standwood is interested in =
useing the data I sent him from my little "front weight" problem piano =
to set up an example and to some degree a walkthrough of his method for =
interested on this list. I am not sure exactly what he has in mind, but =
I would assume it would be a valuable exercise for any of us =
particullarily interested in actions, and anyone else for that matter. =
Any and all interested should pipe in and let him know so that he's =
willing to put in the time an effort. As I understand it, he would be =
putting up a couple sides at his website to display the data and his =
analysys of it. Sound interesting ????? Chime in then !
   =20
    Results of current action modification:
   =20
    Original action had a shank with a 16.2 knuckle radius and an angled =
wippen cushion.
    This action was heavy and had little to no aftertouch (jack was not =
clearing the knuckle sufficiently).
   =20
    Installed a shank with a17mm knuckle and a straight wippen cushion =
(Turbo Wip).
    Trial regulated a few notes and the aftertouch was the same. I set =
the hammer to half-blow
    ran a line from the b/r to the c/p, capstan too far forwards. I =
placed a mark on the cushion where
    the line intersected. With the hammer still blocked and the capstan =
removed I also placed a
    spacer under the key front to simulate the key's attitude at that =
key event (half-blow). I simply held
    a small ruler parallel to the wippen support post and drew a line =
through the mark on the sides of
    the wip and keystick. A temporary capstan allowed a trial run, =
perfect.  I set all the capstans to this new line.
   =20
    The original capstan angle was 10 degrees with an average KR of .48.
    New line has capstan angle at 90 degrees with an average KR of .50 =
and in a tighter range. It makes you
    wonder how capstans are drilled so haphazardly to begin with. Had =
this 'magic line' intersection
    resulted in the jack not functioning to my liking, I would have =
moved the capstan fore or aft to where it did
    and adjusted the wippen cushion height to accommodate the 'magic =
line'.
   =20
    This method has allowed me to specify blow distance, dip, etc, and =
result in a fine regulating piano as
    opposed to having to fudge on hammer height or dip to get the action =
to function  properly.
    The biggest mistake we make is to assume that everything at a =
factory was performed with absolute accuracy.
   =20
    My next step is to sample UW/DW and have David calculate a smooth FW =
spec.
   =20
    This stuff is so easy.
   =20