Non-words

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:42:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/2000 12:02:25 PM, Dave wrote:

<<"Vocabulary is very important in this world, not just to me, to everyone.">>
Yep, words mean things and they should not be tossed around as mere
doohickeys.

  <<"We
all tend to take more seriously someone who says (for example) "haven't got
any" than we do someone who says "ain't got no".">>
 Well there is a grammatical faux pas here somewhere in both of the quotes,
happens I ain't smart enough to figger out the first un but the second one
should be "ain't gots no".

<<"The use of non-words like "thingee" in an otherwise technical discussion
totally destroys the credibility of anything else the writer has to say.">>

Well as an offender, in the use of "thingee", I suppose that I shall have to
settle for being ofensive until my technical and grammatical syntax and grasp
of proper structure have risen to the level of lexicographical perfection.

 Having said dat I might, in my defense, add that I surely thinks dat de use
of "thingee" adds just as much to the technical content and credibility of
posts as do the like of "When does Nauga season open this year?", for example.

 Hmmph! any danged fool knows dat the Nauga was extincted shortly after the
Late Great Unpleasantness by dem damn Yankee scallywag Carpetbaggers after de
last, and theretofore, lost colony of Nauga were discovered twixt the Battle
of Lookout Mountain....................(Which by the way the Yankees only won
cause they got scared and ran away in the wrong direction!!!!!)  Ain't been
no danged Naguas since 18 en 78. The last Nagua skins was used up by that
Varmint Wurlitzer during the 19 en 50's and 60's.

  Well Dave, enjoyed the conversation but I "haven't got any" holes in this
new pinblock doohickey for the new pin tuner thingees, or the fat threaded
thingamajiggers, so I gots to go......y'all come back ya heah? :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)