Non-words

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:12:50 -0400

>Vocabulary is very important in this world, not just to me, to everyone.  We
>all tend to take more seriously someone who says (for example) "haven't got
>any" than we do someone who says "ain't got no".
>
>Dave

I recall my english teacher insisting we not use "got" as in I "haven't got any" preferring I "don't have any". Then, "got" begets "gotten", obsolete in British but current in American english. In some ways under Queen Elizabeth, we are miles ahead linguistically. Just don't listen to our Prime Minister speaking in english though. Get it?

John Lillico,
Oakville, Ontario