Bauer Grand

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 03:41:45 EDT

Dan:

The 6' Bauer Grand was an interesting piano.  It had a plate with substantial
struts and a perimeter ring. The rim and inner soundboard "rim" were hung on
the plate.  Add the unusual ribbing (top rib "straps" and bottom ribs) and
the perimeter plate horizontal bolts which were meant to maintain pressure on
the soundboard, and it becomes clear that the system was designed to achieve
Bauer's idea of soundboard crown maintainance, or at least some kind of
impedance maintainance.  Since many of these pianos lacked the adjustable
bolts you wonder how sure Bauer was of the idea.  But it is the same idea as
the early Steinway double iron frame upright (1860's/70's).  Fazioli has some
version of the idea at the belly rail, I think.

Del Fandrich had a 9' version of this piano which he rebuilt.  You might get
him to tell you about it - he really liked it, I think.

I have a few pictures of the 6' Bauer which I rebuilt.  I could send you a
jpg file if you would like.

The action in the Bauers I have seen was always a Wessell action, but that
had to change after Wurlitzer took over the Bauer name (I think Wessell was
gone by then, too).

The Journal had a piece on the Bauer grand 10 or 15 years ago.  The index
should help find it.

Bill Shull, RPT

In a message dated 7/22/00 1:27:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,