Front Weight--measurements

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:47:56 -0400

Dear Richard,

>>Other parameters ARE changed, namely the Strike Weight Ratio

>I thought that Strike Weight Ratio was the resulting value, and that the
>parameters were BW, FW, KR, WW, and SW. But otherwise your point is covered
>in your first paragraph so I am with you there.

It changes when you change KR and the Wippen Ratio.

>> why should I be
>>>looking at moveing the capstan instead of adding front weight ??
>>
>>Because, no matter what front weight you add, the characteristic of the
>>action will be that of having the weight too far out on the plank.  Lead
>>weight doesn't change leverage and the problem you have is leverage so lead
>>weight won't fix it., even with the help of springs.

>Yes... I suppose I have to take your word on this.. grin... but how, by just
>looking at the data, can you surmise this ??? I mean this is important from
>a diagnostic standpoint when dealing with potential customers. To be able to
>pump a series of measurements into a spreadsheet.. calculate neccessary
>parameters and the resulting SWR, and then be able to tell a customer
>immediatly what the problem is. For example... I would think by looking at
>your graphs that Front weight would be immediatly suspect... Am I wrong in
>supposing that this would require any re-weighting, even if the suggested
>capstan line adjustment was accomplished ??

The big picture is:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/bras.jpg

The leverage plot is staring you in the face.  The ratio is way too high
and the leverage suitable only for the featherweight hammer.

You could pare the hammers down too nothing but this is not advised. The
solution is to first fix the capstan/heel line to get the ratio where you
want it.  Then re weight the keys.

David C. Stanwood