How many techs?

Ted Rohde rohde@pdnt.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:01:59 -0500

List,
    It's this very reason that I have never joined the Guild.  I've been in
business since 1976, keep several other techs busy, rebuild pianos, and
learn everywhere I can learn by attending workshops with Yamaha, Steinway,
etc.  I was called to join in 1979 and, when a little hesitant, was told
that they would have me out of business within a couple years if I didn't.
I'm still here.  That call has kind of shaded my view of the Guild for a
long time.  I hang around on the fringes of this list to try to see if I can
learn more (which I definitely do!!), but stay really quiet to stay away
from the "flames" like these.

Later,

Ted Rohde
Central Illinois

Whatever do you want more associates for?  The guild is already adding more
associates than RPTs every month and as the older generation dies
off........  Furthermore why would non-members want to be associates?  They
aren't full fledged members, they can't vote, and when they do things like
publish newsletters, start new chapters, teach classes, etc. they are
resented.

If you really want new members you will have to do more than offer them
"goodies", pizza and technical sessions on pitch raising.

Frankly, it will require some real creativity, but you did great in that
area in finding a trainee and wife.  So keep up the good work.

Diane