Teaching son

Larry J Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:18:34 -0700

Help,
I may be totally crazy, but my 21 year old son has expressed a desire to
work in my store/shop and become a piano technician.  (And I am seriously
considering it!)

My thought is to have him spend 3 months tuning nothing but unisons
before advancing on to the simpler intervals.  At the same time, begin
studying repair and reconditioning of the pianos I have here.  (I have a
good project piano in mind already.)

I would only take him on this endeavor if he were willing to really do
the work and I would expect him to be able to handle some of the outside
tunings in 6 months.

My goal is to get him to become an RPT within 1 year.

Am I crazy? (Yes I probably am but to what level.)

Larry Messerly, RPT WRVP
Prescott/Phoenix