note to Ted Rohde, was Re: How many techs?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:29:31 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/00 8:21:52 PM Central Daylight Time, rohde@pdnt.com
writes:

<< It's this very reason that I have never joined the Guild.  I've been in
 business since 1976, keep several other techs busy, rebuild pianos, and
 learn everywhere I can learn by attending workshops with Yamaha, Steinway,
 etc.  I was called to join in 1979 and, when a little hesitant, was told
 that they would have me out of business within a couple years if I didn't.
 I'm still here.  That call has kind of shaded my view of the Guild for a
 long time.  I hang around on the fringes of this list to try to see if I can
 learn more (which I definitely do!!), but stay really quiet to stay away
 from the "flames" like these.

 Later,

 Ted Rohde
 Central Illinois >>

Ted

I certainly respect your feelings about why you don't want to join the Guild.
But the fact that you attend seminars, and subscribe to this list is exactly
the reason you should join. If it weren't for the PTG, you would never have
had the opportunity to attend seminars, or lurk on this list.

As I said before, there are some PTG members who have an attitude that
non-membes will never make it in the industry. You have proven that you don't
need the PTG to be in business. But don't blame the attitude of a few to keep
you from participating, and being part of the greatest organization in the
world for piano tuners.

I would really like to have you reconsider to join. There have been many
technician who joined after 20, 30 or even 40 years in the business, and they
wondered why they waited so long. St. Louis is hosting a seminar next spring.
This is my personal invitation to you to attend, and fill out an application
to join the PTG.

Willem Blees, RPT, Chairman,
CW Regional Seminar
St. Louis