aughts & naughts

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:40:14 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/00 2:03:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
larudee@pacbell.net writes:

<< List,

 I would be grateful if some of you ejikated folks out there could tell me
what
 the "0" means in tuning pin sizes, e.g. 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, etc., and why there's
 never a 3/1 or a 2/2.

 Thanks,

 Paul S. Larudee, RPT
 Richmond, CA >>

I don't know where the measuring system came from, and what it means, but the
size of tuning pins are 0, 00, 000, 0000. They are not 1/0 2/0 3/0 4/0 etc,
although we use that as a sort of short hand for indicating what size tuning
pin is used. So your question as to why 3/1 or 2/2's, doesn't compute. We
call them 1 ought, 2 ought, etc., because of the number of zeros, with zero
being ought. (or is it aught?)

That's the best I can do

Willem