How many techs?

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:54:20 -0500

Ouch- so sad you've had such a horrible experience.  I hope some of those
who held those attitudes have gone on to their rewards- somewhere. It's
reprehensible that Guild people would be that rude.   On the other hand,
those are, I think, the exceptions.  Our local chapter seems to be
attended by folks who really don't care that much, with a couple of
exceptions, if one is RPT or otherwise. We're there to learn "stuff about
thingees" and other stuff, too...
les bartlett,
houston

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:01:59 -0500 "Ted Rohde" <rohde@pdnt.com> writes:
> List,
>     It's this very reason that I have never joined the Guild.  I've
> been in
> business since 1976, keep several other techs busy, rebuild pianos,
> and
> learn everywhere I can learn by attending workshops with Yamaha,
> Steinway,
> etc.  I was called to join in 1979 and, when a little hesitant, was
> told
> that they would have me out of business within a couple years if I
> didn't.
> I'm still here.  That call has kind of shaded my view of the Guild
> for a
> long time.  I hang around on the fringes of this list to try to see
> if I can
> learn more (which I definitely do!!), but stay really quiet to stay
> away
> from the "flames" like these.
>
> Later,
>
> Ted Rohde
> Central Illinois

> Whatever do you want more associates for?  The guild is already
> adding more
> associates than RPTs every month and as the older generation dies
> off........  Furthermore why would non-members want to be
> associates?  They
> aren't full fledged members, they can't vote, and when they do
> things like
> publish newsletters, start new chapters, teach classes, etc. they
> are
> resented.
>
> If you really want new members you will have to do more than offer
> them
> "goodies", pizza and technical sessions on pitch raising.
>
> Frankly, it will require some real creativity, but you did great in
> that
> area in finding a trainee and wife.  So keep up the good work.
>
> Diane

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.