Piano valuations.

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:52:58 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/00 3:49:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
gharvey@netsource.co.nz writes:

<< Greetings to all,

 I am interested in finding how some of you approach the task of valuing a
piano.
 The reason I ask is that in a few weeks we will include this topic at a
technical meeting of our guild here in New Zealand.
 I'm most interested in the basis of a valuation ie, insurance,or for resale
purposes, or replacement purposes and whether a different figure applies for
each different situation. Obviously there are many ways to get a valuation
figure, so I'd really like to hear how some of you do this.
 I've been involved with pianos for 20 or so years and have my own basic
criteria, but I think it would be healthy to see what others do and the way
they approach it.

 Many thanks
 Graeme Harvey
 New Plymouth NZ >>

Graeme:

I am the only person in the USA who is qualified to answer the questions you
posed. Therefore, I demand that you fly me, and my wife, to New Zealand as
soon as possible, so that I can personally give you the answers you are
seeking. :)

Willem

OK, so you don't have to fly both of us.

All right, I guess I can't get away any way, so here are some of my
approaches to piano evaluations.

I have three prices I tell people. 1. The wholesale value. What I will buy
the piano for. 2. What the customer could sell the piano for. And 3, what I
could sell the piano for in my store. In a nut shell, there are so many
variables there, that giving a straight answer will be difficult. But one
thing is important in doing this, and that is to keep abreast of the price of
new pianos. Without that information, it will be difficult to give a price on
a used one.

Willem