fire damage

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:37:32 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/00 10:28:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
pneely@thegrid.net writes:

<< List I need info on evaluating smoke damage the piano is a Yamaha upright
 about 13 years old with a dampp-chaser unit on it good condition just smells
 like smoke. Pat

If there is no soot on the inside of the piano, washing down the case parts
with a strong detergent will do the trick. The fire control company might
also want to put the piano to their oxidation room to get rid of the smoke
smell.

If, on the other hand, soot got inside the piano, the soot, which is very
abrasive and corrosive, will have damaged the strings, and penetrated the
felts and wood of the action. 13 years is not very old for a piano, but this
kind of damage greatly reduced the life expectancy of the piano. While the
outside might be made to look like new, the inside will have aged 50 years.
If the soot did get inside the piano, I would recommend the piano be
"totaled" and the customer get a new piano.

Willem