Fine tuning unisons

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:43:10 +1200

Dan Reed wrote.....
Snip<
"The odd thing is, that the pitch comes right back up. Just strike the =
note,
and hear it start to go sharp again. After four or five hard blows, it =
is
back to (about) where it started before massaging. (I am an aural tuner, =
and
I check the individual wires with thirds or sixths. It is the massaged =
wire
that is comming back up, and not the other wire going south.)

Just when I thought I had found a nice accurate controlable method to =
subtly
change the pitch to clean up a unison!"

Hi Dan,=20

Yes ... this is the wire heating up by the rubbing, expanding slightly - =
enough for the pitch to drop and then rise again as the wire cools.

Some years ago I thought I'd be smart and purposefully de-tune (for =
tuning practice) a piano by using a hair dryer on the strings.
Yes.. it does work but again as the wire cools the pitch pretty much =
returns to where it was.

I think for the result to be more permanent the wire would need to be =
stretched by rolling but this is impossible to control for the purpose =
of setting a unison.

Keep experimenting - you may strike a method that none of us have yet =
thought of.

Regards

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth=20