Frozen or Binding regulating screws

arnie arniex@earthlink.net
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:02:12 -0400

Hi, List.

I have just finished inspecting the action of an old Hallet & Davis baby
grand. (The serial number seems to have been long ago obliterated but I'm
guessing it's about 60-70 years old.)  The piano was just "rebuilt" but the
"rebuilder" didn't bother to regulate the action. This action isn't a little
out, it's grossly out! Perhaps the reason it wasn't regulated is that most
of the regulating screws are binding so badly I think they would break, or
worse -  strip the holes if they were turned any large amount.

I will shortly be attempting to regulate this action. I'm looking for any
experiences out there with techniques to free up  binding regulating screws.
It has been suggested that I try pin-point applications of Proteck's Prolube
liquid, which I will. But I would like to have more than one card up my
sleeve before I start this job. Can anyone suggest other approaches?  I
thought of  Liquid Wrench, but would it harm the action?
Thanks,

Arnie
Arnold D. Moss
Associate Member, PTG