Sales tax: was Re: Licensed tuners

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:23:43 EDT

Hi ric,

Exempting ongoing legitimate businesses from collecting sales and use tax
because they happen to gross under a certain dollar amount is a bad idea in
my mind.  This lowers the total cost to the client which gives these exempt
businesses an unfair advantage.

In the piano tech world I'm sure we all know of tuners who have full time
jobs in another field, possibly deriving complete benefit packages from these
other occupations.  Their piano tech fees seem to be lower then us doing it
full time.  If they aren't grossing over $20,000 and this exempts them from
collecting sales tax, this in my mind is making the situation worse for us
full time techs.

With all this said, other techs lower prices don't worry me, state gov't
favoritism would rankle me though.

Sincerely,

Doug Mahard