Juice (was M&H Q's)

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:11:48 -0600

Hi Mark,
             I have had similar observations,  each technique has to be
learned and practiced with caution.  Every manufacturer's hammers respond
differently to each technique.

There is no simple or right answer, that's part of what makes this
proffession so interesting.

For me the shoe is on the other foot. Susan has used steam, and asked a lot
of questions, when first introduced to the method.  I've just ordered some
clear shallac flakes and will try it, and no doubt I will have a lot of
questions.

In our dry climate we rarely do a lot of juicing, just a little in the top
octave when hanging new hammers.

Vodka, sure works, but the tomato juice leaves a mess.  I also find it
quite 'heady'. <g>

Regards Roger

At 09:38 PM 29/07/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi Susan,
>
>I'm intrigued by the shellac idea... I too hate the thought of really
toxic stuff invading my kit, let alone someone's piano/home. Great post!!

>A quick question, in my own trials of alcohol/water (Vodka) voicing I
found that the hammers changed shape...beyond what I was comfortable with
or was happy with, any time saving was absorbed by the need to reshape the
hammers. I found steaming to be far less destructive, but I haven't played
with steam long enough to get constistent results.

>Practice will be the solution of course...Roger J. will agree I'm sure!
>
>Cheers
>Mark Bolsius
>Canberra Australia

Roger Jolly