Thanks - and still learning from you all

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:46:49 -0700

I don't know if Larry Lobel is on this list, but I hope he won't mind me telling
his story.  Larry was a Guild member some 15 years ago.  I don't think he had a
terrible experience, but I guess he felt he wasn't getting much benefit, so he
left.  I'm not sure what made him want to try again, but both we the chapter)
and he are glad he did.  Perhaps it was the Journal, but he decided to attend a
few meetings, then the regional conference, which was within driving distance.
He was so impressed, he immediately signed up for the national in Arlington.
When I saw him there, he was in seventh heaven.  I've been a Guild member for
only seven years, but he says it is a different organization from what he knew.
And if you want to get a sense of the Guild, attend a convention.

Incidentally, I made a casual suggestion to some Guild officers last year
concerning recruitment of new members.  One of the obstacles seems to be that
the Guild is pervceived to be some kind of exclusive club.  My suggestion was to
offer a money back guarantee - join for a year and if you're not satisfied for
any reason you get your money back.  That should kill the notion that we're
elitist.  Will some join just to get a free year of the Journal and some
discounts?  I'm counting on it!  Once they're in, I'm betting they won't want to
leave, and the few who might will be more than offset by the many who decide to
stay.

Another draw would be group health insurance without having to prequalify.  I
joined a group called Media Alliance for $60 a year just because of their
insurance.  (The $60 is the membership fee, not the insurance premium, which is
much more.)  Turns out they are useful in many onther ways.  It may not be quite
so simple for PTG, which has to deal with 50 states, but I think it's worth a
shot.  (Our Canadian members obviously have no need for such an offer.)

Paul S. Larudee, RPT

Ron Nossaman wrote:Ted,