Tuning Time

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:55:02 EDT

My first attempt at tuning was with an ETD and it took about 6 hours. AFter
5 years of practice, it would take me about 1-1/2 hours. AFter 10 years of
practice, I could tune a piano in 20 minutes if I had to.

I don't think it matters what kind of a gadget one uses, or even if one
tunes aurally, there are still about 235 tuning pins on a piano.  Even if
you spent an average of 5 seconds on each one, it still comes out to about
20 minutes.

The use of an impact hammer allowed one tuner, Coleman, Sr.? to tune a piano
in about 10 minutes!  Practice is everything.

Carol Beigel, RPT