Sore point (was QRS question)

RustRazor@AOL.COM RustRazor@AOL.COM
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:35:24 EDT

Point well taken, Ron.  And in the case of a fine piano such as a 1900
Steinway, it is possible and (I agree) proper to add the linkage for the
middle pedal which I would realistically estimate 1.5 - 3 hrs to install
depending on the dance that's needed.

However there are 3-pedaled, lesser quality grands that don't have sostenuto
function - they have a dummy spring already or a bass sustain, which in my
opinion is a less likely candidate for major concern about the middle pedal.
After all, one of the main historical reasons that upright pianos have three
pedals is because salesman didn't know what to tell customers who inquired
about why the piano had only two pedals (they expected three). - Matt Wynne