Tuning Time

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:44:38 -0700

LHSBAND440@AOL.COM wrote:

> How long should It take to tune a piano if you are using an Accu-tuner and
> tuning from A0 to C8, in that order, and using the Accu-tuner to tune the
> unisons as well.  I am at 3 hours.

Dear LHSBAND440,

This is a question that you will ultimately answer for yourself, based
on your own "temperament" type. Some people place a high value on speed
and will develop very efficient techniques for achieving that (and still
do a good tuning). Others will concentrate on getting the best tuning
possible, no matter how long it takes. The rest of us will fall
somewhere in between.

There's nothing like being faced with a store-full of pianos, for
example, to bring home the fact that one's technique could use some
improvement in the speed department. The first big job I got was in a
college music department. There was a classroom that had 11 Everett
studio uprights that sounded bad whether they were in tune or not. It
was in this room that I decided that my tuning speed needed some
improvement.

Most tuners could probably lose a few time-wasting habits if they put
their minds to it, and this is a whole 'nother post. The one major area
that needs to be addressed, especially in the beginning of one's career,
is The Point of Diminishing Returns. It's different for every situation
and you will discover this magical locus as you try different approaches.

If a piano is out of pitch, there is not much advantage in trying to do
a fine tuning on the first pass; you're only wanting to get some tension
on the frame. It is beyond The Point to expect "a perfect tuning" from a
spinet, or perfect unisons on notes with pronounced false beats. A poor
quality piano will probably not be worthy of your best efforts while a
fine quality piano will very likely benefit from every effort you can
give it.

It is a matter of discerning, in every instance, what is an acceptable
tuning - for this piano (considering it's condition and service history)
and for this customer, balanced with your present abilities and pricing
structure.

Tom Cole