Tuning Pin Torque

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 17:04:29 EDT

John writes:
<< is there a table of torque measurements,

in inch pounds, for the tuning pins.

i.e.   too loose?

        loose?

         nice to tune?

         too tight? >>

Greetings,
   This subject will probably generate quite a range of preferences,  here is
mine.
50 in/lbs =  too loose to be trusted with anything
75 in/lbs = marginal torque, oughta be repinned or glue sized, depending on
situ.
100 in/lbs=  A comfortable time of moving pins around,  with the right
technique,  a               pin this tight will hold tuning under any level
of pounding.
125 in/lbs =  Where I  like to see a new block about four weeks after the
piano is strung.
150 in/lbs=  the upper limit of what makes sense in any way,   a new pin in
the bass of a large piano, perhaps.

     I have just used a different pinning on the concert D at Vanderbilt.  It
needed a new block, and I copied Chris Robinson's approach.  I used 1/0 X 2
1/2" pins from Piano Tek, and drilled the Steinway stock block with the C
bit, (.242").  I moved up to the D bit (.246) for the top section.  The block
feels great.  I have a consistant 120- 130 in/lbs throughout right now, with
the top section  down about 10 or 15 in/lbs.   I tune this piano a lot, I
want it to be very comfortable to work with, thus the 1/0 pins and the
expectation of 100-110 in/lbs of torque within the year.
   I used Sanderson bass strings, and Mapes Gold series wire, new agraffes
and new bridge pins in new notches.  It sounds good.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT