Juice (was: M&H questions)

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:46:18 -0700

Hi, Sandra

Vodka as a voicing solution is new enough to me that we had better
say it's in "beta testing." Vodka has been used for easing center
pins for some time, but voicing with it has not been written
about much. So, proceed in a gingerly manner, try some vodka
on some old rock-hard hammers which you're going to get rid of anyway,
and see what happens. Use different amounts, put it different places.
I think you'll be quite interested in the results. Then, take a few
overdosed hammers (hammers that now have a drinking problem) and try
a hammer iron and then juice on them ... I'll do the same, as chances
appear, and we can compare notes. I'm interested, for example, in
whether ironing while they are still damp will harden them, or just
steam them deeper, and make them softer yet. I hope soon to compare
ironing while still damp (which would be handy, since the voicing
could be adjusted while still there for an initial visit) with ironing
after the hammer has completely dried.

Welcome to the list.

Susan

P.S. Vodka, being 1/2 water, is a fairly strong easing and voicing
solution. You can also try other dilutions, by mixing up your
solution from bulk grain alcohol and water. 2:1 alcohol to water
will act differently than 1:1, for instance. By using "Everclear"
or "Clear Spring" you have the choice of dilutions, and it's
cheaper than real vodka, besides.