Thin paper punchings

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 07:51:36 -0500

In a class in Austin, TX, Bill Garlick described the use of this tool by
the NY technicians.  He called it a "tomahawk" tool because it is kind of
shaped that way.  He said (as you might expect) that this can certainly be
over used.  Occasionally I see a key from a NY piano that has a dent from
the half-round bearing where the wood was crushed by an overly enthusiastic
use of this tool.  I think with the bearings used by NY, causing a very
narrow contact point, the wood is easily crushed.

dave

On 7/30/00 at 10:13 PM markbolsius@optusnet.com.au wrote:

>In my last rush of responses ... I forgot to reply to this one!
>
>At S&S in Hamburg they use a lever and block to press the keys that are
slightly high...their thinest ones aren't as thin as the Yamaha tissue
punchings (which I love for that glass-like result).

>The block sits over the keys at the balance pin (and has a gap to allow
for the protruding pin) and the lever has a curve or cam at the business
end. The lever uses the pinblock to rest against as you gently press block
against the key until you get the result you need. It has definite
limitations...it really depends on how many punchings are under the
key...the more there are the more compression is achieveable.

>I wondered about the longevity of the "adjustment" but they assured me it
was fine...as they would!

>If anyone's interested I'll attempt a drawing and put it on my website...
email me privately and I'll determine the interest level to see if it's
worth the trouble

>...I realise my description lacks clarity...Sorry, but it's Sunday night
here...my brain atrophied a few hours ago.

>Nite all
>Mark Bolsius
>Canberra Australia

David M. Porritt