Chickering Questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:27:44 -0400

I picked up a new client who just inherited "Grandma's Piano" - an old 6'
Chickering grand. It is a candidate for a complete rebuild. I wish to advise
her as to the pianos potential. It does not sound like much now, but the
hammers are crumbling (bug eaten, etc.), bass strings are tubby, etc., so it
seems hard to judge by listening.

I have heard that the "good" Chickerings were produced  before 1900. I know
Aeolian produced these for a while. I cannot find a serial number on the
piano.

What construction features (specific to Chickering) might I look for that
will tip me off to the general qualities of the piano? I noticed that it
only has two framing beams under the soundboard, and they are tall but thin
(about 1-1/4 inches thick). It also has the tenor/treble and
treble/hi-treble plate struts cutting through notches in the treble bridge.
(Did Chickering ever make hi-quality pianos with interupted bridges??? - or
is this a sure tip-off that my client has a very Aeolian-era Chickering that
has incorporated econo-design/construction features?)

Any other things to key in on???? Thanks to all for some excellent input on
my pinblock/frame separation post. I will now schedule the repair and
confidently go about my business knowing exactly what I am going to do and
that I might break the plate! (Seriously though, I do mean thanks big time)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com