Plate Movement/Damage

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:44:59 -0400

Hi List Rebuilding Experts!  The same Chickering I just posted a question
about its quality is the subject here. The piano was in storage for years
(piano appears 60+ or ++++ years old). It appears that the piano may have
been dropped. I see no external damage where the piano may have hit the
floor, etc. The only damage apparent (I have not removed the action yet - I
hope it is not jammed in) is the plate setting at a level about 1/4" higher
at the treble end relative to the stretcher and the case (right-front
corner). The bottom of the little add-on trim block mounted on the inside of
the case that the music desk slides are attached to is normally (like at the
bass end) setting just at the top of the plate. The bottom of this block on
the treble side is bashed and chewed (much like a piano plate bashed into
it) and the plate is riding up past the block bottom. The case is also
separated from the stretcher, being bent out about 1/4" inch (there is a gap
between the stretcher end and inner side of the case - you can see the dowel
that had attached them). The hi treble has plenty of downbearing. Inspecting
underneath the piano, I see no evidence of keybed movement, soundboard
movement, or any other damage.

Any preliminary thoughts on what happened - before I take this thing apart?
I told the lady that the first thing to do with the piano is take the action
out and figure out what happened and how extensive a repair would be
involved (I also told her it is appropriate to view any such repair as one
step in rebuilding the entire piano). My biggest question is: How could the
plate raise a full 1/4" inch in the hi-treble without the soundboard moving
and still maintain downbearing? It appears that either the plate and
soundboard have moved up, or that the stretcher and case (treble-front
corner) have migrated downward. Keep in mind the only apparent damage is the
plate movement relative to the case side (up and banged against the music
desk trim block) and up from its normal position relative to the stretcher.

I hope she makes an appointment for further assessment. I am very curious
what the deal is. Any speculation?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida