S&S Teflon Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:57:23 -0400

I have recently been given the charge of looking after two Steinway's for a
local small-time non-profit performance facility. They have a 1920s "L" (or
at least it is 5' 11" in length) and a 1949 model "B". They both have
HEEEAAAVVVYYY actions. Like generally 60g to 85g downweights and only 20g to
25g upweights. I have read and heard quite a bit about verdigris and teflon,
so I think I am aware of the ABCs of those problems. The "L" clearly needs a
new action. Its stiff, worn out, falling apart, has some cheap replacement
parts, etc.

My question is about the "B". I have not had time to pull the action out yet
(every time I have gone there, I spend most of the time putting band-aids on
the "L" so that it at least works). But peering down through the strings, it
appears that the wippens have felt bushings and the hammer-shanks clearly
have teflon bushings. The piano has recent S&S hammers (look maybe 10 - 20
years old) and the shanks appear to be older than the hammers (wood appears
a bit darker - more like the wippens).

The Question: What kind of bushings was S&S putting in model "B" action
centerss in 1949? I thought teflon was not till the 1960s or so. Did they
ever make an action with teflon only in the hammer shanks?

If teflon post dated the manufacture of my "B" in 1949, that would suggest
that this "B" was "upgraded" about 20 years ago with new S&S hammers and the
latest and greatest action center wonder from S&S .................. "Our
New Hi-Performance - Never Needs Adjustment - Never Wears Out - Teflon
Action Bushings". I can only assume this is what I am looking at. I guess
someone replaced the verdigris problem with the teflon problem, courtesy
Steinway. Waddaya think?????????? I guess hindsight is always 20/20!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com