Thin paper punchings

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:32:16 -0600

At 10:13 PM 7/30/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>In my last rush of responses ... I forgot to reply to this one!
>
>At S&S in Hamburg they use a lever and block to press the keys that are
>slightly high...their thinest ones aren't as thin as the Yamaha tissue
>punchings (which I love for that glass-like result).

They used to use them in New York, too. When I made my first pilgrimage to
S&S in NYC in the 1980s they were still using something like this in
production. Joe Bisceglie called it a "Tomahawk" .When I went back a few
years later they were nowhere to be seen and I was told their use had
fallen out of favour because of the potential of damage to the keys and
half-round bushings.

                         John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom