Research for fine tuning unisons

Dona dlaird@sprintmail.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:59:57 -0700

Well, being a born dinker arounder, I have tried most things in this =
regard. The only thing I have personally found usefull is a bit of =
finger pressure down and sideways on a string right at the forward =
bridge pin. This works quite often really for very slight adjustments in =
pitch. I have been left suspecting that there is something about how the =
string meets the bridge and pin that doesnt really get dealt with by =
regular string seating at the bridge and have it on my mind to play =
around a bit with different possibilites for bridge string termination, =
but thats another story... grin...

Richard Brekne
RPT,  NPTF
Bergen, Norway
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Dan & Martha Reed <thepianoarts@home.com>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Sunday, July 30, 2000 11:34 PM
    Subject: Research for fine tuning unisons
   =20
    List,
   =20
        I am studying supplamental techniques to fine tune unisons... =
that is, I am researching and testing methods other than hammer =
technique, to make small adjustments to solid wire. Thank-you Graeme =
Harvey, Susan Kline and Joe & Peny Goss, for your help.
         I am specificly collecting technicians experiences who use use =
wooden, brass, or other tools, to push or massage the wire, in order to =
make fine pitch adjustments.  If you have some positive results, and use =
a tool to this end (other that tuning hammer technique) in your work,  =
please post me at my personal e-mail address.  I will collect the info =
and report updates and progress to the list.=20
        The goal of the research, is to see if there is a reliable and =
predictable technique, to make fine pitch (lowering) adjustment in a =
solid wire unison, where hammer technique is difficult, or not accurate =
enough.=20
        The premise and background of this study is as follows:  (Unison =
checks from an arual technicians perspective...)
     We get the unison as close as possible with hammer technique. Then, =
we compare the pitches of the three wires,  with 3rds. 6ths. 10ths. etc. =
 If one of the wire is found to be slightly sharp, (and hammer technique =
too course), we lower the pitch using the tool.=20
        These techniques can also be used to lower single wire (outside =
wires being muted) pitches, as in strip-muted octave setting, or in =
making fine adjustments in setting the temperment.
   =20
    Thanks for your encouragment.
   =20
    Dan Reed