moving piano away from wall

Mon, 1 May 2000 12:06:57 -0400

Greetings -

Considering that we all must move pianos large and small away from
people's walls from time to time for normal servicing, I would be
interested in hearing what precautions/methods, if any, some of you
employ when performing this task alone (which I assume, of course, is
most always) when the piano is on a wood floor.

I recall Ed recommended the use of strips of galvanized metal to use as
runners.  I also recall Jon suggesting using padding under each end and
'scooting' or sliding the piano across the wood floor.

Any other suggestions or ideas?  I admit to having taken no precautions
for many years with absolutely no problem, but will now change my
approach when the piano has metal casters and is on a wood floor.

All ideas welcome!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com